DSI’s Old Capitol Holiday Walks 2017
November 25 @ 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Thanks to DSI’s Generous Corporate & Family Sponsors
as of November 15
Downtown Springfield Heritage Foundation Inc.
Illinois National Bank
Dave & Laurie Farrell
Development Services Group
Rep. Tim & Wendy Butler
Julie & Bill Cellini
Bank of Springfield
Kuhn & Trello
Myers Commercial Real Estate
Dave & Val Leonatti
Eck Schafer and Punke
Staab Funeral Home
Springfield Youth Performance Group
This event wouldn’t be possible without our government partners
City of Springfield Office of the Mayor
Sangamon Mass Transit District
Visit Springfield Convention & Visitors Bureau
City of Springfield Public Works Department
Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Thanks to Holiday Banner participants
Ace Sign Company, Staab Funeral Home, Marine Bank, Sutton’s,
HSHS Medical Group, Zara’s Collision, Café Moxo, Recycled Records
Dates & Times
Saturday, November 25 12-6 pm
10 am to 6 pm – Small Business Saturday Shopping, Dining & Drinks
1 pm to 4 pm – Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides by Red Gate Farm
1 pm Nutcracker Mice on the Plaza
2 pm to 3 pm – Meet Santa & Kids Crafts/Games at the Old State Capitol
3:45 – 4:30 pm – Santa Arrives & Tree Lighting Ceremony
4 pm Nutcracker Mice on the Plaza
7 pm – Screening of movie “Elf” at Hoogland Center for the Arts
Wednesday, November 29 5-8 pm
Saturday, December 2 12-6 pm
Wednesday, December 6 5-8 pm
Saturday, December 9 12-6 pm
7:30 pm Jaycees Christmas Parade
Wednesday, December 13 5-8 pm
Ladies’ Shopping Night
6 pm Menorah Ceremony
Saturday, December 16 12-6 pm
Wednesday, December 20 5-8 pm
Men’s Shopping Night
SUNDAY FUN DAYS 11 am – 3 pm
Some businesses are staying open for convenient Sunday hours during the Walks! incl. The Roost, Itty Bitty Fashion Trunk, Wild Rose, Elf Shelf, Springfield Vintage, Milk and Honey Fresh Market, Daisy Jane’s
Santa in the Old State Capitol
- Saturdays from 2-5 pm
- Wednesdays from 5-8 pm
- Give your list to Santa while Mrs. Claus hands out candy canes
- While you wait, children’s crafts and History Comes Alive presentations by General Grant and William Herndon, Lincoln’s law partner
- Greeted by USCT Soldiers, part of History Comes Alive
- Located on the Old State Capitol Plaza
- We’ll make sure your letters are delivered to Santa on time
- Thanks to the Springfield Art Association for creating the mailbox in 2016
Horse-Drawn Carriage by Red Gate Farm
- Saturdays from 1 -4 pm EXCEPT no carriage on December 2 and Noon-3 pm on December 16
- Wednesdays 5-8 pm
- Free rides, first come first served
- Pick up on 213. S Sixth Street at Del’s Popcorn
- About a 10 minute ride
- Route goes north on 6th, turn on Washington, south on 5th, turn on Monroe
SYPG Elves on the Plaza
- Saturdays starting Dec. 2 from 2 – 5 pm
- Wednesdays 5-7 pm
- Say hello and watch the antics of the Springfield Youth Performance Group
Find Elf on the Shelf
- All days
- Participating downtown locations have hidden the tattle-tale elf. Where is he and what could he be up to? You’ll have to visit to find out!
- Locations include Arlington’s, Augie’s Front Burner, Cafe Moxo, Cold Stone Creamery, Daisy Jane’s, Milk & Honey Fresh Market, Murphy’s Loft, Recycled Records, Springfield Vintage, Springfield YMCA, Studio on 6th, The Roost, urban sassafras, and Wild Rose.
- All of the Holiday Walks
- Allow the warm and toasty smell of fresh roasted chestnuts (and peanuts) to lead you to Old Capitol Farmers Market vendor Suttill’s Gardens, roasting chestnuts on the Old State Capitol Plaza. For a small fee, you can enjoy some–either as a tasty treat or as an old-fashioned hand warmer!
- Wednesday, November 29 at 6 pm – Lanphier High School Choir in the Old State Capitol
- Wednesday, November 29 at 7 pm – Glenwood HS Band
- Saturday, December 2 at 1 pm – Blackwater Strings in the Old State Capitol
- Saturday, December 2 at 4 pm – Springfield Dance Theatre performs on the Old State Capitol Plaza
- Wednesday, December 6 at 6 pm – UIS String Quartet & UIS Chorus in the Old State Capitol
- Saturday, December 9 at 1 pm – Seraphim in the Old State Capitol
- Saturday, December 9 at 4 pm – Old Capitol Choral Singers in the Old State Capitol
- Saturday, December 16 at 1 pm – Uketopians in the Old State Capitol
- Saturday, December 16 at 2 pm – Springfield Showstoppers in the Old State Capitol
- Saturday, December 16 at 4 pm – Sacred Heart Griffin Band on the Old State Capitol Plaza
- Wednesday, December 20 at 6 pm – Uketopians inside the Old State Capitol
- Wednesday, December 20 at 7 pm – Sound Celebration Chorus in the Old State Capitol sponsored by Sentinel Pest Control
Presidential Museum Exhibit “Holidays at the White House”
- Saturdays from 9 am – 5 pm
Historic Sites’ Special Holiday Events
- Wednesday, November 29, 3 to 8 pm – Dana Thomas House Evening Tours & Treats (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 2 from 11 am to 3 pm – Illinois State Museum Super Saturday (Holiday Bus Route stop starting at noon)
- Saturday, December 2 from Noon to 4 pm – Elijah Iles House Decorating (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 2 from Noon to 6 pm – Pasfield House Inn Historic Christmas featuring trees decorated with all City of Springfield ornaments and White House Christmas ornaments, plus a large collection of Civil War Santa collectibles. Complimentary refreshments served. (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 2 – Dana Thomas House Tours Throughout the Day; Last Tour at 4:15 pm (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Wednesday, December 6 from 5 – 8 pm – Elijah Iles House Candlelight Open House (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Wednesday, December 6 from 3 to 8 pm – Dana Thomas House Evening Tours & Treats. Debbie Eddy Flute Choir performances. (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 9 at 6 pm – 1850’s Carols at First Presbyterian Church
- Saturday, December 9 from 1 to 4 pm – Lincoln Home National Historic Site’s Historic Christmas with holiday tours, historic crafts, and a chance to meet the Lincolns. (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 9 from 1 to 4 pm – African American History Museum’s Holiday & Historic Crafts for All Ages (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 9 from 4 to 8:30 pm – Illinois State Military Museum Holiday Event
- Saturday, December 9 – Dana Thomas House Tours Throughout the Day; Last Tour at 4:15 pm (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Wednesday, December 13 at 6 pm and 7:30 pm – Edwards Place Candlelight Tours (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Wednesday, December 13 from 3 to 8 pm – Dana Thomas House Evening Tours & Treats. Debbie Eddy Flute Choir performances. (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Wednesday, December 13 from 5-8 pm – Elijah Iles House Candlelight Open House (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 16 at 2 pm – Edwards Place Holiday Tea (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 16 – Elijah Iles House Childrens Activities (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Saturday, December 16 – Dana Thomas House Tours Throughout the Day; Last Tour at 4:15 pm (Holiday Bus Route stop)
- Wednesday, December 20 from 3 to 8 pm – Dana Thomas House Evening Tours & Treats. Debbie Eddy Flute Choir performances. (Holiday Bus Route stop)
President Lincoln & Mary Todd
- Saturdays, Noon – 6 pm
- Wednesdays, 5-8 pm (Mrs. Lincoln only)
- Thanks to a special Holiday edition of History Comes Alive, you’ll find the President and his wife, who always liked beautiful things, walking around the downtown shops and historic sites. Grab a Presidential Selfie when you can!
Free Bus Transportation
- Saturdays, Noon – 6 pm
- Wednesdays, 5- 8 pm
- Catch a free ride on a special Holiday Route bus, which takes you from downtown and back to several historic sites decorated for the holiday season and with special holiday activities.
- Check out the map (coming soon) for the stops. The bus will circulate at all stops every 20 minutes (EXCEPT Dec. 2 and Dec. 9 due to longer routes those specific days).
Lighted Bus Selfie Station
- SMTD staff have decorated one of the buses again this year, and it’s so bright you’ll want to wear shades!
- Find it at 4th and Adams and grab a memorable picture with your family and friends!
- It is also a drop off location for the Toys for Tots program.
- Don’t forget the hashtag #merryandmischief !
Hoogland Center for the Arts
- Saturday, Nov. 25 at 7 pm – Watch the movie “Elf” starring Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf
- Wednesday, Dec. 6 – Christmas with The Alley Cats
- December 8-10 and 15-17 – A Charlie Brown Christmas Live! on Stage
- December 15-17 – The Dual Piano Christmas Show
Parking & Free Holiday Walks Bus Route
Parking on the street is free during all of the Holiday Walks.
The parking lot at the southeast corner of 4th and Washington is free after 3 pm on weekdays and all day on Saturday and Sunday.
The Underground Garage, under the Old State Capitol Historic Site, will be open late for all of the Wednesday Holiday Walks (until 8 pm) and will be open on Saturdays until 6 pm. Entrance is on 6th Street after you pass Adams. Cost is 75 cents per half hour.
SMTD and Downtown Springfield Inc. have teamed up to bring you a specially designated Holiday Walks bus route that is FREE! It swings you around downtown and to participating historic sites in a full loop that takes only 20 minutes*, with multiple stops. So get on the Holiday Walks bus and enjoy more of the community–from shops to historic sites lit by candlelight. Download the map
*Special extended routes to historic sites on Dec. 2 and Dec. 9 will extend the times on those days.
Thanks to our generous sponsors, the Carriage Rides are free again this year! Rides are first come first served on Wednesdays from 5-8 pm and on Saturdays from 1-4 pm EXCEPT no carriage on December 2 and rides are from noon-3 pm on December 16
. Pick up location is on Sixth Street and the route is about 10 minutes on the roads around the Old State Capitol, so you can admire the lights, the windows and the historic setting.
Sumac Shop at the Dana-Thomas House
301 East Lawrence Ave
Holiday Treats & special promotions weekly.
Abe’s Old Hat Antiques & Country Store
111 N. 6th
Wed. nights – Elvis Himselvess followed by Open Pics
Sat. Live Music Matinees 1 – 3 pm
Weekly Specials and Refreshments Served
$4 Hot Buttered Rum Cider & $4 Candy Cane Cocktails
Augie’s Front Burner
109 South 5th
Books on the Square
427 E Washington
Buzz Bomb Brewery
406 E Adams
They’re planning a January opening. You’re invited to pop your head in and say hello if they are inside working during your Walk.
206 S Sixth
kids eat free with the purchase of an adult entree
free holiday mug with a $30 merchandise purchase
hot cocoa bar!
open all Walks except close Saturdays at 2 pm
411 East Adams
First year open late for the Walks!
Celtic Mist Pub
117 S. 7th St
$6 Irish Coffee $4 Jameson $2 PBR Chalices
229 S. 6th
One smile nugget with $20 purchase
Cold Stone Creamery
124 S. 6th St
Ice creams, cakes, & novelties. Shakes, smoothies and frappes. Plus warm, freshly made waffle bowls or cones. Coupons available.
424 E. Monroe
Refreshments while you shop
Jade’s Far East Emporium
631 E. Adams St.
15% off during Holiday Walk days
Complimentary hot tea & cookies
Chinese Calligraphy demonstrations–get your name in Chinese!
Loukinens’ on 4th
517 S. 4th St.
Hot Chocolate for Adults 21 & over: peppermint liquer, whipped cream vodka, & Godiva dark. For the kids, spiced cider & hot cocoa.
222 S Sixth Street
Recycled Records Inc.
625 E. Adams
Used CDs & DVDs Buy 2, Get One Free
4 So. Old State Capitol Plaza
Holiday pie sales
SAA Collective Located in the Hoogland
420 S 6th Street
Free Gift with Purchase
Springfield Clock Shop
629 E Washington
20 rhythm clocks 40% off
215 S 5th St
Refreshments while you shop
Studio on 6th
215 S. 6th St.
Free spirits and snacks
Door prizes every half hour
Special Christmas bags & wrapping
115 N 5th
Holiday themed cocktails
The Pharmacy Gallery & Art Space
711 S. 5th St
Coffee, hot chocolate & baked goodies
216 S 6th St
Refreshments while you shop
Holiday giveaway with every purchase
100 North 6th
live window displays on wednesday nights
crafts & snacks for kiddos
refreshments while you shop
Vele Restaurant | 524 E Monroe
Modern Coastal Cuisine dinners Wed-Sat
Join us for the ribbon cutting Dec. 6 at 3:30 pm
115 North 6th
Christmas Basket Raffle, entry with every purchase
Refreshments while you shop
Willow & Birch Salon | 521 E Washington
10% off products during the Walks
Join us on Nov. 29 for New Location Celebration 4-8 pm with ribbon cutting at 1:45 pm
Wyndham City Centre | 700 E Adams
Stop by to watch the creation of a giant gingerbread house by the hotel’s pastry chefs.
220 S 6th St
Coffee drinks, hot & cold
Closed after Dec. 2 Holiday Walk
Pop Up Shops
This year we’ll be featuring another great selection of pop-up proprietors in vacant or otherwise-purposed buildings in the downtown district.
The Toy Shop | 407 E. Adams
Open during Holiday Walks plus Thurs-Fri. 10 am – 6 pm and Sunday 11 am – 3 pm. Offering a variety of toys from stocking stuffers to modern spins on old classics. Stop in soon and let’s play!
LLCC Artists Gallery | 518 E. Monroe
Open Sats. Dec. 2, 9 & 16 Noon – 6 pm
A fine selection of art from Lincoln Land Community College artists.
Myers Brothers Pop-Ups | 101 S. Fifth, Washington St. Entrance
Open during the Holiday Walks only, featuring a variety of clothing, craft and home goods.
Midwest Family Live | 11 W. Old State Capitol Plaza
Made possible by Willow City Farms
Wed., Nov. 29 – 970 WMAY 3-7PM
Wed, Dec. 6 – 97.7 WQLZ 4 -7PM
Wed, Dec. 13 – US92.7 4-7PM
Wed, Dec. 20 – 98.7 WNNS 4 -7PM
Your favorite radio personalities bring their own brand of brains and humor to make 5th and Adams a particularly festive corner.
Shop‘til You Drink | Floyd’s Thirst Parlor at 212 S. 5th
Sat, Nov. 25 4-8:00 pm
Weds. Nov 29, Dec. 6 and Dec. 13 5-8 pm
Sat , Dec. 9 4-8 pm
Featuring Killer B Vintage and other artists and craftsmen
LulaRoe | Elegant Expo Group at 225 S Sixth
Holiday Walks on Weds. Dec 6, 13 and 20
Laura Hamilton brings the best of LulaRoe
Window Decorating Contest
The business or community group who captures the public’s imagination this year will receive the 2nd Annual Window Decorating People’s Choice Award at DSI’s Annual Dinner on January 25, 2018 (that means two complimentary tickets to the festivities!!).
Last year’s inaugural people’s choice award went to the International Folk Dancers of Springfield for their live window display.
More than 40 storefronts, including vacant buildings, will be decorated for the holidays by businesses and approximately 15 community groups, as varied as, Habitat for Humanity, Central Area Baptist Church, SAA Collective, Springfield Watercolor Society, Springfield Bicentennial Committee and more.