Downtown Springfield, Inc. is the capital city’s non-profit and Main Street organization dedicated to increasing economic and cultural vitality in Springfield’s historic downtown district. We are neighborhood-building! The organization was formed in 1993.
DSI has a robust volunteer corps working for downtown revitalization in these areas. Let us know you are interested in volunteering>
- Supporting Our Retail Community: Providing a network for our merchants to share best practices and collectively identify and reduce or eliminate barriers to retail success; and hosting merchant-focused events such as First Fridays, Shop Hop, Bloktoberfest and Holiday Walks;
- Filling the Vacancies: Working with the City to eliminate code confusion and make it easier to repurpose historic, empty spaces; with our partners to launch a mix of incentives to speed upper-story rehab & use of empty commercial spaces; and serving as an active liaison between property owners, developers & current and potential tenants;
- Wayfinding, Placemaking & Beautification: Creating and highlighting places where people want to gather in our beautiful downtown and adding the “wow” and the “weird,” including managing the ARTificiation mural and the Old Capitol Farmers Market;
- Consumer Transportation: Increasing consumers’ ability to navigate downtown by removing barriers such as parking confusion and working with our police force, medical community and social service providers to ensure a healthy environment for all;
- Marketing the District: Spreading the good news about what is happening downtown to locals and tourists, through social media, our website and a mobile app (coming in 2017); and
- Planning the District: Developing and implementing plans to grow downtown as a cultural district and 24/7 residential and walkable neighborhood with all of the associated amenities.
Looking for a unique way to market your company or event? DSI and Ace Sign Company manage the downtown banners program. Read more>
Meet your friends at the Old Capitol Farmers Market for fresh, local food and products every Wednesday and Saturday morning starting on May 16 from 8am – 12:30 pm, thanks to our premier Market Sponsor HSHS St. John’s Hospital, and our partners Illinois Stewardship Alliance and Springfield Area Arts Council. The final market of the season is Halloween at the Market on Oct. 27. Read more>
HOW WE ARE FUNDED
DSI is not a government entity but is a 501(c)6 non-profit association of downtown businesses and those who support a thriving downtown. About one-fifth of our funding comes from business memberships and four-fifth comes from sponsorships and fundraising. Some of our popular fundraising events are the summertime Amaranth Apple Festival, and our Annual Dinner in January. Believe in the District? Become an Advocate or Business/Corporate Member today>